Re: (ET) Bumping up the charge voltage a tad

On 6/18/2015 4:21 AM, David Roden wrote:
"Blow the oxygen off the plates"?  Never heard of such a thing.  Last I
heard, oxygen was a gas.  Gases don't usually stick to stuff.

The oxygen and hydrogen in the water of the cell chemically combine and bind to the plates. Specifically:

2NiO(OH)+Cd+2H2O->2Ni(OH)2+Cd(OH)2.

Note the H2O "vanishes" into the nickel and cad plates during discharge. This is why the water level goes to almost nothing on a totally flat battery and why water magically "appears" when you charge them. Also why you don't add water unless fully charged.

Overcharging blows the remaining Hydrogen and Oxygen off the associated plates and it recombines in the batteries to become water.

Kind of cool.

You aren't harming yours by undercharging them.  In fact you're probably
extending their already long lives.  If they have enough capacity to do
what
you need done, don't mess with success.

Abusing them should get me 50 years or so. Don't overheat them is the key thing. If I take better care of them they should last 100 so my grandkids can die mowing the lawn :-)

I'll look at the FR info after work, very interesting stuff there.