Re: (ET) Gel Batteries

On 27 Jul 2013 at 9:43, Robert wrote:

>  I was wondering if you had lead/acid batts before as a power
> comparison and how the gels held up so far?

Well, gel batteries ARE lead-acid batteries.  The electrolyte has silica
gel
added to it to thicken it.

Maybe you mean flooded (open) lead acid?  I've never used those in the ET,
so I can't really compare.  However, gels usually produce less peak power
(in KW) than flooded or AGM types.  That said, I have never thought that
their power was less than adequate.

Solectria used East Penn gel batteries in their Force electric car, where
they were called on to deliver 250 amps.  They lasted 5-8 years in that
service.  So, I'm not at all concerned about hurting them with ET current
-
especially since mine are in series-parallel, so each one sees roughly
half
the full current.

History: I bought a batch of slightly used East Penn Deka Dominator gels
in
1998 or so.  I use 6 in my E15 and 3 in my Avco R36 rider.  The ones in
the
E15  have thus been trucking along for about 15 years!

I did have one fail a year or so ago in the R36 (weak cell), but that's
been
the only failure so far.

I should point out that I don't use the E15 for mowing, just for plowing
snow and hauling stuff around the property.  It probably gets less use
than
most ETs, which might be why the batteries have lasted a long time.  But
these batteries are known for their longevity.

I charge them with 3 12v Exide brand automatic chargers (made by Cliplight
of Canada).  You need a charger that is limited to 14.1 to 14.3 volts.
The
GE charger will murder gel batteries.  You should also be sure to shut off
the charger when they're fully charged (no trickle charging or maintenance
charging).

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA