(ET) Snowblower

I have to disagree with Christopher Zach on the snowblower, at least if they live in climates that tend to have wet snow.  I have the 42 inch snowblower and weightbox that I used to use with my E15.  I found that when the snow was wet, which is most of the time in Delaware, the chute clogged no matter how it was treated.  Maybe painting it would have helped, but I decided not to do that because nothing helped in the way of waxing or spraying helped even for a short while.  II didn't believe that repainting would have helped enough.  I don't think any single stage snowblower works well with wet snow, electric or gas.

I managed to purchase a plow that did a much better job at wet snow removal than the snowblower ever did.

I now use my Dad's 40+ year old Ariens snowblower that he gave me.  Even though it's the underpowered 5 hp version it does a better and faster job of my driveway than either the Elec-Trak snowblower or plow ever did.  It clogs infrequently and blows snow farther than the ET snowblower ever did except with totally dry snow, and it does the whole driveway in less time due to it's much greater maneuverability.  I can turn the snowblower around in about 2 seconds where it takes more like 30 seconds to turn my E15 around with the snowblower or plow and a weight box.

I considered electrifying a gas tractor's two stage snowblower, but they are kind of rare (the two stage ones) and I never found one reasonably priced.  And then I was given my Dad's Ariens, so I stopped looking.

I hate the noise of the Gas Ariens engine, but the performance and price (it was free) makes up for the noise.

I love my ET, but knowing what I know now and living in a climate that mostly gets wet snow, I would get a higher horsepower gas snowblower with larger wheels.  Honda makes really nice snowblowers and they would be my first choice if money were no object.  If my driveway were longer where less maneuvering was required I would reconsider my plan of electrifying a two stage snowblower from some other brand of tractor.

I have considered selling my snowblower and plow because they just don't get used, but I have had offers of only around $50, and for that price I'll just keep them in the shed.  Maybe in the future I'll move to where I can put them to good use.

Steve Naugler