-----Original Message-----
From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu [mailto:elec-trak-bounces
cosmos phy tufts edu] On Behalf Of David Roden
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:58 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) charger problem

On 21 May 2009 at 9:51, tbamc wrote:

> I think U. S. Battery recommends about 46.5v for equalization, and as
> far as I know the E-T charger won't get there.

I usually say "ask the manufacturer," but I think USBMC's charging
directions are aimed more at users who need to get the highest possible
capacity from their batteries on every single cycle, and are willing to
sacrifice some cycle life for it.

They recommend constant current to 2.583 volts per cell, then constant
voltage at this point for an additional 2-4 hours.  They suggest to reduce
the voltage by 0.028 Volts per Cell for every 10 deg F above 80 deg F, and
increase voltage by the same amount for temperatures below 80 deg F.
(Following this algorithm to the letter requires a much smarter charger
than
the GE, by the way.)

I think this is needlessly aggressive for most users.  I wouldn't much
exceed 2.5 volts per cell (45 volts for an ET), and stop the charge when
the
current falls to 0.05C regardless of time.  I'd probably add an
equalization
phase of perhaps 2 hours at 0.2C or so for the ET, since it taps the
battery
pack.  I would still use USBMC's temperature adjustment.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA