Re: (ET) Motor overvoltage

For whatever it's worth, Bill, I drove a 36v golf cart drive assembly (motor, diff, axle, oversized wheels, even) at 72v for tens of miles (maybe more than 100) in one phase of an EV project. I later used the motor for something else... it's still in "circulation' in my projects... and it never seemed any the worse for wear. (I think I had a 275A max current at 72v, or about 20kW, and I wasn't shy about using it, either.)

If that GE motor is really precious to you, a family heirloom motor, for instance, don't do it. If you can stand the *possibility* of it failing, then I think you should wire it up with confidence; my bet is you'll be fine.

Confessions of an overdriver,
-Max