Re: (ET) How NOT to check your batteries... Battery Charge / Monitor / maintainer

Think modular.  For what you suggest, it would perhaps be better served by
different modules.  If the maker or the buyer didn't want to go to the
expense
or cost of implementing everything, make a base kit that handled just the
charger, no readouts, no leds, no buzzers, etc., but put jumper blocks in
the
circuit at key points.  For example, let's call these jumper blocks A, B &
C.

At all times, the unit passes through voltage to jumper block A.  You can
either plug in a cheap voltmeter to block A for easy readout, or you can
make
your own with a simple 2-digit readout.  Some of the more sophisticated
off the
shelf voltmeters have logging capability so you can put all of the polled
results into a spreadsheet and graph it out on your PC.  If you rig a plug
that
fits into block A, you could log the voltage during the entire charge and
later
see how well things worked or didn't.  If you see wild up & down voltage,
spikes, or dramatic dips, then you know you have a problem.  Of course,
you
could do this anyway, with connecting it to a controller.  Just connect
your
voltmeter to the batteries during a charge cycle.  Still, having block A
would
be convenient.

Now, say the conroller detects a failed charge.  I think in this case,
when
the unit starts the charger, it would just trip a simple 5-10 minute timer
(doesn't have to be real time).  If after the timeout occurs, the voltage
has
not risen above a certain sweet spot setting, then it stops charge and
sends a
continuous on/off signal to a built-in LED and to jumper block B.  At
block B
you could add an optional buzzer for alerting.  This could either be a
small
thing that stays close to the main unit, or it could extend off on long
wires
to outside the tractor for easier detection.  Hell, I suppose you could
even
wire block B into your home's alarm system, or at least a module inside
your
house, if you really wanted to.  I'm sure ThinkGeek.com might have a
gadget or
2 that might appeal to the geekier members of this list.  You could
probably
modify the "Scrolling LED Name Badge II" with an alert message, I'm sure.

I'm not sure what temperature and current monitoring would do for you.
Perhaps those would better be served by off the shelf components?  If
you're
referring to an overheating condition that would damage the batteries,
then you
could possibly add this as an add-on module to jumper block C.  If nothing
is
on block C, then the controller does nothing with it, but if that module
is on,
it will simply break the circuit (turn off the charger) if the temperature
exceeds a certain setpoint, say 125, 150 degrees (again, what's good here?)

So far, this is all academic.  Nice thinking and good ideas, but are we
going
somewhere with it?

Regarding your comments about who can do it, I don't think you need a
computer
science degree or even programming skills such as C or assembly.  It's
really
about logic diagrams and boolean algebra - http://en.wikipedia.
org/wiki/Boolean_algebra_(logic).  The hard part is working out which AND,
OR,
NOT, XOR gates go where, keeping the voltage, resistance, capacitance,
etc.
just right, and so on.

>If we had nothing else to do ... <grin>

Yeah, I second that emotion.

On a related note, my 7 year old son has "Snap Circuits".  Maybe I can use
those to relearn a thing or 2 to do this.  Ha ha  ;-)

--
Jeremy Gagliardi
E20

maintainer