(ET) How NOT to check your batteries...

...an idiot's guide to maintaining your batteries and checking their water
levels.

I went outside to my garage for a completely unrelated task, and I noticed
distinct aroma in the air, the smell of ozone (I wrote about this days
ago),
the smell of my ET's charger going.  That's strange, I thought.  The
charger
was running last week too, and while my ET is in storage, the Landis
Controller
usually only trips the charger once every other month or so, and I check
the
water levels once a month like clockwork.  So, I put down what I was
doing, and
I checked my batteries immediately.

To my amazement, I heard loud boiling coming from all 6 of the batteries.
immediately unplugged the charger, tripped the cutoff switch, and began
checking the battery water levels.  I unscrewed the middle cap of each of
the
batteries, and all but one of them had a water level below the plates.
Wow, I
thought, what the hell happened?!  It was then I realized what a stupid
mistake
I had made.  Just 2 weeks previous, when I checked the water level, I did
the
exact same thing, removed only the *middle* caps on each of the batteries.

Using a high powered flashlight this time, I saw what I hadn't realized
before,
the middle cell of the battery does not join the other 2 cells; they're
sealed
off from each other.

All of this time I thought the cells were open to each other, and if I
just
opened one cap to check the water level, then I'd checked it for the whole
battery.  WRONG!!!  I immediately removed every cap from every battery,
and I
discovered that the cells all had different water levels.  Not to mention
the
fact that by now, with every battery having low water in at least 1 cell,
the
voltage had severely dropped, and keeping my ET plugged in with the
automatic
Landis Controller, unsupervised, the charger had been constantly cycling
on &
off over the course of countless days, boiling away my batteries.

I quickly poured distilled water into every cell, raising the water level
significantly above the cell plates, but not too much.  I restored the
cutoff
switch, plugged the charger back in, flipped my manual switch to go back
to the
stock timer, and set the charger in the "5-6 year" range for battery age.
After that was over the next day, I again cutoff power, and checked both
the
voltage of every battery and the water levels.   Phew!  The water levels
are
good, and the voltage is from 6.5 to 6.6 volts per battery.  Now, after 2
days
of rest from charging, the charger still hasn't tripped again.  But, I'm
sure
my batteries are damaged.  I saw "things" floating in the water.  Is that
the
legendary sulfation I've heard so much about?

I don't know why I thought that adjoining cells were open to each other
and
would have the same water levels.  It must've been a case of assumption
compounded by ignorance.  When I bought my batteries, they didn't come
with an
instruction manual, or even a tip sheet.  They were just 6 naked batteries
carried out to the trunk of my car when I bought them, no box, no package,
no
paper, or anything.

Sheepishly yours,
Jeremy Gagliardi