Re: (ET) Off Topic Electric Chainsaw

That's not vapor, it's smoke.  Chances are your motor is already toast.

Poulan is the brand.  They may make good e-chainsaws, but I don't know of
any in the range.  The ones I've seen have been very cheap, light duty
tools.  They sell them at Wal-Mart for goodness sake (or at least they
used
to), what do you expect?

Same with the Remington brand.  I'm on my third Remington and absolutely
do
not recommend them.  The bodies are made of plastic and the bearing
carrier
in my first one literally melted.  The second one had a motor disaster.
The
saws are assembled in USA, but the motors are cheap Chinese sweatshop
rubbish.

I say junk it and get a decent one.  My research suggests that the best
buy
for durability and price is the Makita UC-4000 at around $200-230.  Amazon
has some very positive reviews.  This will probably be the next one I get
after this last Remington dies, which I expect to happen later this winter.

The Husqvarna 316 at about the same price also looks good, but I haven't
yet
found any reviews.

If you want a real top shelf E-chainsaw, get a Stihl E-220 (over $500).
This is the only E-chainsaw I know of that's available with a 20" bar (the
others are 14" or 16").  They sell only through local dealers, never by
mail, so discounts are rare.  But it's a serious professional tool that
should last for many years.

This is a case where price is a reliable indicator, in the negative sense.

You don't get a good, long-lasting electric chainsaw for $100 or less.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

All we learn from history is history repeats.

                     -- Andrew Ratshin