Re: (ET) Removing the steering wheel

David C Robie wrote:
Never heard of a gear worn down that far.  Possibly you could remove the
block and elongate it's mtg holes to get gears further into mesh - that
is, a small amount so as not to change the angle much.  The console
itself may be tilted a bit fwd too.

This is a possibility; the steel down there has some surface rust, it's possible the console/frame floor is somewhat bent.

Also, the steering shaft may not be
getting far down enough in the block.

No, it's in there and snug. I'm not going to jack the console; the gear is not slipping.

 Bet your tractor was driven that way for a long time til she finally
wouldn't hardly steer at all.

Actually no. I broke the pillow bearing a long time ago and had this problem; I totally forgot that adjusting the block fixes it.

Steering went south pretty quickly this summer. Compounding this, I have the original tires on the front, and they are hard as rocks. I really should replace them. Maybe the block is just moving down there, or it gets dislodged when you hit a particularly nasty bump.

In the meantime it's better. A little play before the wheels turn, but much better than before.

Thank you for the thoughts; steering on these tractors is always kind of fun.

Chris