(ET) Steering problem identified.

Ok, I think I figured out what is going on here.

The trick is that the sector gear and pinion both ride in the same block. It's a cast steel block that is attached to the E20 frame by two bolts.

Over time these bolts have allowed the block to "migrate" forward. Not much, maybe a 1/20th of an inch. But that is enough to get dirt behind the block (where it keeps it from going back) and more importantly it changes the lash angle between the sector gear and pinion. Thus the pinion loses contact and it slips.

Solution right now involves moving it as far back as possible, tightening the bolts, then reassembling the system. Should be able to finish it tomorrow.

What a pain. But at least I know I'm not insane.

Chris