From: David C Robie <mycroftxx1 juno com>
Subject: Re: (ET) Source for small Ni-cads and NiMHs?
<snip>
As to older portable tool powerpacks.  It may be that only one battery in
the pack is causing the 'weak pack' symptom.  Take the pack apart, test
the cells individually.  Solder in a new one in place of the bad one.
Older nicads tend to short through.  Have done this many times, and if
the charger's still good, you're in businss.   Source of those ''extra'
nicads?   Why, the town's battery recycle dump behind the town barn.
There's plenty of old power tool packs in there and it don't even have to
be the same brand.  When you are there. pick up several old packs as
internally, the cells are not all of the same physical size.