(ET) 36vdc relays

RJ,

Those 36vdc relays from SURPLUS CENTER definitely have a diode across the coil. I purchase two of the relays and decided to bench test them.

Not worried about polarity, I placed 36vdc across the coil and heard a pop and observed a puff of smoke coming from the relay. I removed power and performed a continuity check across the coil and found that it was shorted.

I decided to find out what had gone wrong so I removed the plastic cover and found a small diode across the coil connections. I snipped the leads and removed the diode (failure mode - short).

I retested the relay and it worked so the blown diode did not ruin the relay.

Further inspection of the relay had shown a "plus" sign painted on the bottom adjacent to one of the coil terminals.

So, if you leave the diodes in, you must observe polarity with wire 38 (+) and wire 13 (-). I removed the diodes.

Bill Kelly
Owego, NY