RE: (ET) expensive

Every time gasoline prices rise, we see several new members on the EV
discussion list.  Not all of them follow through and actually build the
conversions they are talking about, but some do.  So it's true that rising
fuel prices generate interest in EVs.

But how much interest?  Hard to say.  Will it continue beyond the first
months of expensive fuel?  Hard to say.  Presumably the automakers don't
consider it strong enough and durable enough to make a business case for
developing EVs, at least not yet.  (I do recall though that GM promised in
an early 1980s news release that we could buy an electric Chevette by
1985.
I'm still waiting.)

Some have argued that if GM can build and profitably sell a
limited-interest
vehicle such as the Corvette, they ought to be able to build and
profitably
sell an EV.  The argument's somewhat hampered by the fact that the
Corvette
probably uses more mechanical components from other GM cars than an EV
would
- but in financial terms, they are probably right.

However, GM has other reasons for not encouraging a disruptive technology.

Their stockholders hold their feet to the fire for this quarter, not the
long run, which pushes them toward quick-profit projects, not long-term
development.  Besides, vehicles such as the Corvette are mainly image
builders; GM presumably wants the elements of corporate image that are
boosted by the Corvette, but not those advanced by the EV1.

What might push more consumers toward EVs is not expensive fuel, but
^unavailable^ fuel.  Put people in 1970s-style gas lines or hand them
ration
cards, and you've made it so their money (within legal means) ^can't^ fix
their transportation problem.  At least in the US, people seem to have
more
money than patience.  (Or at least they ^think^ they do. ;-)

Then someone has to be prepared to make a lot of money selling EVs to
these
disgruntled people.  The EVs have to be market-ready, priced
competitively,
and just as reliable as anything else on the road.

This might very well happen a few years from now, if things continue the
way
they're going in Asia.  Manufacturers in both China and Japan are
currently
developing small EVs.  For example, the Heibao EV, which turned up at the
Tour de Sol a few years back, is reportedly in production according to
this
page:

http://www.chinesecars.net/index.php?page=5

And several others are reportedly in the prototype stage.

It's not hard to imagine some US entrepreneur with deep pockets buying
enough congressional representatives to get an exemption from FMVSS (it's
fuel emergency, don't you know) and importing these vehicles by the
shipload.  (Let's not discuss the fuel the ship requires. ;-)

I think that a similar strategy could be a winner for electric tractors,
too.  Again, though, the price and quality would have to be competitive.
>From what I can see, cost is what killed the ET; for most people, the
advantages we treasure just weren't enough to overcome the price
differential.  I wouldn't be too surprised if the next production electric
tractor had a "made in China" label under the hood.

In fact, there are those who would argue that China is poised to do to the
American automakers what Japan did to them in the 1970s.  Determining the
validity of this prediction will be left as an exercise for the reader.
;-)

But if we suppose that the current price and supply disruptions don't ever
become permanent - that is, we just have 10 or 20 years of gradually
rising
prices - then the fueled vehicle is more likely to maintain its
predominence.

Larry is right, high fuel costs alone aren't enough to drive EV
acceptance.
I've said for years that, barring external disruption, four elements have
be in place before EVs will be accepted in a particular nation:

1.  Adequate economic advantage for EVs (very expensive fuel)
2.  An activist government ($ incentives for manufacturers and users)
3.  An educated, environmentally aware population (uncompromised media)
4.  Full cooperation from vehicle producers (they really want to)

You are not going to get all of these in the US.  I'd be surprised to see
more than ^one^ of them here.

This means that in the states you would have to legislate EVs, which is
pretty much what Larry said.

But that's assuming that things remain relatively stable.  They may not.
Add in some serious fuel supply disruptions and China's ascendance as a
vehicle producing nation, and things just might change - and rather
quickly.
 Time will tell.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Note: mail sent to the "from" address above may not reach me.  To
send me a private message, please use "evdl at drmm period net."
In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks
you take.

                     -- Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)