(ET) C-185 Cruise Control drop out

I had been experiencing this as well- highly intermittant- sometimes tractor goes 15 minutes in CC. Other times, only 15 feet. On my tractor, the problem was the CC relay itself. I put the tractor in neutral and started the motor and set the CC- then I started moving wires looking for a poor connection, etc.

I found that tapping the area near the relay or the relay itself caused it to drop out. I could see sparking at the contacts before the drop out. Cleaned the contacts but no change. Then I slightly bent the contact springs for more tension. (I have a lot of experience with relays- do this at your own risk- it is easy to "screw it up good.") This solved the problem.

I have ordered all new enclosed relays with sockets- $6 per relay and $6 per socket. I will share the part numbers when I am sure they working OK. They are 24 volt relays of course and I need to get resistors to put in series with the coils.