Re: (ET) Problem with E20

Actually sounds more like an open than a short.

First don't jumper across the varistor connections. The varistor should act as an open circuit until a transient comes along, then it starts to conduct.

I suspect a bad connection to a relay, or more likely, the card. The card connectors are not the best design. With the panel open, wiggle all the wires one at a time and I bet you'll see the problem show up at some point. With luck you can tighten up that terminal. A more proactive stance would be to clean up all the connections with some scotchbrite and/or contact cleaner and give each terminal a bit of a tweak with pliers to make them fit tighter. You may find terminals that are cracked or broken - replace them. This is both for relay and card connections.

- SteveS

.

Kleinbrahm, Bob wrote:

I am experiencing a problem with my E20 that I am hoping someone can help me with. My tractor seems to have only 3 speeds forward now. I have checked the #4 card and it looks good and I have cleaned the card edge connector, etc. The other day, the tractor stopped running altogether, no drive motor at all. I was able to flick the f/w switch into reverse and it started to run again, as well as forward now. Next day I decided to look into it a bit more and the tractor was dead again. Switching to reverse didn't work this time so I unscrewed the control board panel with the relays on it and checked each relay for proper alingment etc. When I tried motor with the control board in the down position, it started to work again. Thought maybe I had a short somewhere that was causing this, but I cannot find one as of yet. When I press foot pedal the motor starts speed, and then slowly move the panel up to the correct mounting position, the power cuts out again, and will not function in the mounting vertical position. I noticed that with the foot pedal depressed slightly and the control board half way back up, the fw relay starts to chatter right before loosing all power. Shouldn't the fw relay function for the first 3 speeds? In troubleshooting this I also noticed that the #3 card had the varistor burned and indeed the traces were gone from it. I tried jumpering the card accross the edge connectors that the traces lead to, but it immediately began to smoke the jumper wire when I applied power. I have a new card from Harrold but do not want to install it until I can figure out why it is drawing so much current. I know this really sounds like a short somewhere and will start to trace each wire as time permits. Bob K.