Re: (ET) Sam's Club Batteries

Sam's Club sells batteries under the "Stowaway" label. From what long-time observers on the EV list have said, these are often made by a major name like Trojan, US Battery, etc., but the exact maker varies depending on who gave Sam's the best deal that quarter.

I abused a pack of Stowaways in my on-road EV, and then took the best 6 and put them in an ET that went to my brother. I figured they were just there as a temporary pack but he got a year or two out of them at which point I was impressed.

One big thing I'd watch for is that Trojan and possibly others have shortened the 'automotive' portion of the post height on their "universal" terminals. Basically they have left just enough lead to hold the end of the threaded stud, which means there isn't enough post for the battery cables to clamp on to. This assumes you still have the original style cables with the ends that clamp around the posts. Some people have switched to using cables that have a flat lug to fit over the studs with a nut on top, but this set-up requires periodic tightening to prevent bad connections.

So, I'd probably go for the Sam's Club batteries if the terminals were decent. Alternatively some have had good luck with used batteries from golf courses.

Kleinbrahm, Bob wrote:
I am in need of a set of batteries for my E20 and wonder what others think of the Sam's Club variety. My current set was purchased used from a golf cart dealer which have lasted me 2+ years. They are Exide 2200's and were pretty good for used, etc. Gulf Cart shop can sell me new ones @ 64.16 ea. and am trying to decide if I want to go with them or Sam's Club. Sam's quoted 46.63 ea. and brand name of Stillway? Anyone know what these are?

_________
Jim Coate
1970's Elec-Trak
1992 Chevy S-10 BEV