Re: (ET) How do you remove the mower motor flanges?

I always put some grease on my motor to blade flanges when I have the
blades off for sharpening. They should come off just by pulling them off
with your fingers. Make sure you do not get grease or oil on the fiber
washers between the flange and blade as it will cause the blade to slip
and burn out the fiber washers and mess something up.
Chris, after over 100 tons or force I bet you do not believe they will
just fall off when you take the blade screw out.

Oh you got that one right. There is *no* way that thing is coming off without some serious thought. I left one of the motors at a rebuild shop; I'll let them figure out how the heck to get it off (if they can)

One hint: It does look like the factory "peened" the end with a punch or something. Am I correct in that the motor shaft goes to the bottom of the flange there? Or should I be putting the force against a bolt screwed in there (ie: The motor shaft is not as long as I think)

And we all use anti seize on all the bolts right?

Little story there. Motor#3 had a bolt get stuck on the bottom. Bolt broke at the top (of course) So I proceeded to drill it out. And use my sears bolt extractors to remove bolt.

Imagine the look of joy on my face when I broke the EXTRACTOR off in the hole. Note to all: You will *never* drill thru a hardened extractor. Junk motor and try again.

*sigh*
Chris