Re: (ET) Newbie E20 owner questions.

1. Can I use 3 12 volt deep cycle batteries instead of the 6 6 volts, and what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Simple answer: No. Go to Sam's club and buy six T105 batteries ($40-$50 each). Go to your favorite golf range and ask if you can buy six used T105's ($20 each). But whatever you do, don't use 12 volt batteries.

2. If the amperage is the same on the 12v batteries as the 6v will the tractor run as long? (I'd make up the weight difference using a few cement blocks)

The amerage will not be the same. Amps and capacity come from lead. Less lead, less capacity. Also the plates on the 6 volt batteries are thicker and can handle more stress than 12 volt plates.

3. Can I use Sealed Lead Acid 12 volt batteries, like the ones from Sears? This seems like a good idea so the water level never has to be checked/adjusted. I've had great luck with the Sealed batteries in my cars.

No. The on-board charger on the E20 will *BAKE* sealed batteries.

4. If I don't use the 3 12volt batteries, are the 6 volt deep cycle batteries from Sam's Club for $47 a piece any good?

Yes. Very good. They should last for 6-8 years.

5. Does it make any difference to the onboard charger as to whether I use 3 12 volt batteries or not?

Yes. The charger is designed to boil 6 volt batteries so they equalize. This is why you have to add water. You can't add water to sealed 12 volt batteries, so you will boil them dry.

7. Is there anything else I should be aware of? I have the Elec-Trak Homeowner's Service Manual.

Don't short a battery, make sure there is a liner around the batteries in the box, water them every once in a while, that sort of thing.

Seriously: I don't mean to come down hard on the 12 volt idea. And I have an electric car that uses 50 little 12 volt batteries. But it has a complex charger that really thinks about things before charging the pack to prevent the batteries from drying out or running out of sync. You will only wind up wasting money on the pack you wreck.

T105's (the 6 volt batteries) are designed to take abuse. They don't put out as much instant current as say 12 volt batteries but they last longer. And the E20 is not going to ever need to pull more current than the batteries can deliver. Well, except maybe with the blower in the winter, at which point I would recommend a second set of batteries in the weight box or electric blankets around the batteries.

Chris