Re: (ET) Vacuum or Sweeper?

I tried a sweeper last year in combination with rear discharge.  It works OK with two draw backs:
1. It does not compact or cut the leaves.  In heavy leaves you can only go 100 feet and the unit is full.
2. Adjusting the brush height for different areas can be a pain.  If the bushes are too low they can wear away thinner grass if you go over it to often.

This spring I bought a vacuum unit from Bill and converted to side discharge.  It was expensive but worked well for heavy grass.  For the fall I designed and machined special mower blades with more lift.  I am happy with the results.  Thisd sytem can really back a lot of leaves into the trailer.

I plan to keep the sweeper and use both.  One nice thing about the sweeper is that it is very quiet.  The vacuum and mower running together is quite loud.

Good luck.

Rob, NH

T Humphrey <thumphrey mynra com> wrote:
Greetings Folks.

Well Autumn is upon us for a couple days b4 the snow season sets
in.

Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other concerning the
pick-up of leaves. Should I build a vacuum or buy a sweeper.

A vac would be kind of like Dennis Pestka's
http://www.elec-trak.org/gallery/DennisPestkaVacuumCart/index.html

A sweeper would be one like can be had from any hardware or box
store.
http://www.agri-fab.com/lawnsweep45_0326.html

If I build a vac, it would be different from Dennis'. I was
thinking of using a blower or fan but it would be downstream of
the filtering so no crap goes through the blades. Much like a shop
vac. Of course no mulching gets done as with Dennis' set-up. Does
anyone know if a blower or fan would be the best choice in such a
set-up to develop vacuum?

Of course a sweeper would use less power but a vac would do
a "better job" I believe. But I have no experience with either.

TIA
Hmup