(Fwd) RE: (ET) tire chains

From:                   "Pieter Litchfield" <plitch attglobal net>

I have some wide spaced (4 link?) chains.  I have a front loader attached,
and
use a rear weight box full of patio blocks as well as a set of chains even
in
summer to improve traction.  Even so, sometimes its not enough.

Wheel weights would be nice as they are kinder to the tractor chassis than
weights in a box - the load is entirely on the wheels, not transmitted via
bearings, and also the center of gravity is much lower - a real plus with
a full
bucket!.   However, the rear mounted box gives more leverage so less
weight is
necessary to achieve the same balance as wheel weights.  Maybe I should do
both.

It is easy to make a weight box.  Mine sits on a steel frame that slides
into the
rear frame sockets (just like the mower support slides in the front
sockets), and
attaches with 1 bolt thru the tractor tow bar.  The bos itself I
constructed out of
3/4 plywood with steel slotted "l" angles to reinforce the corners.  No
problems
with it to date.