Re: (ET) AGMs in an ET?

On 6 Apr 2002 at 10:29, Christopher Zach wrote:

> Quick question? Anyone ever thought of using AGM batteries in an
> Elec-Trak?

Not so quick answer.

You won't find a 12v battery of any type that fits into the same space as
golf car battery and has the same watt-hour capacity (ah * voltage).
Group
24 fits nicely; it has about the same L x W but is not as tall.  Its watt-
hour capacity is ~much~ lower.  (For an example, I use group 24 gel
batteries -- see below -- and they have a capacity of about 400 wh at 75
amps.  A standard golf car battery will deliver over 790 wh at 75 amps,
roughly twice as much.)

However, Concorde (and probably others) make an AGM type golf car battery.
This should fit just fine -- but note that even this battery does not have
as much capacity as a standard flooded golf car battery.

So should you use AGMs (or gels)?  They do have the advantages of needing
no
watering and of never making any acid mess.

AGMs (not gels) are excellent for very high current applications, such as
road EVs that are used for racing and/or driven hard.  Delivering 750-1000
amps on demand is their great strenth.  However, this kind of power
density
is wasted in an ET, which really doesn't need or want that kind of current.

And all VRR (valve regulated recombinant, or "sealed") batteries cost a
LOT
more, and have less capacity.  They seldom have as long a cycle life as
good
golf car batteries, so their cost per unit of use time is much higher (in
road EV, AGM batteries cost between 2 and 3 times as much per mile).  They
also require a more sophisticated (and possibly expensive) charger.  This
is
probably not an issue for Christopher, since he has a solar setup, but for
most other ETers it is.

So are they worth it?  I don't think so -- unless you have access to them
for free, or very cheaply.  As I've posted before, I use East Penn group
24
gel batteries.  I am satisfied with them so far.  However, the only reason
use them in the ET is that I had quite a few of them on hand (still do).
If
I were fitting new batteries otherwise, I'd use plain old flooded golf car
batteries.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.
Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion
Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
                                                          -- Harper's
April 2002