(ET) Trouble, first two forward speeds

Hey team,

my hard-workin' E20 came a-cropper today. Symptoms...
- reverse is fine, behaves as normal
- forward though, does these:
    - on the first "click" (as you push the lever from off) the motor doesn't turn, but lots of current is drawn (in the yellow range on the "power use" meter)
    - on the second click, same behavior, roughly the same current
    - on the third click, there's a short delay (<1 sec) and the motor takes off (and current draw goes into the red)

So I surmise that the control for either the field or armature winding is bad. Sane?

Thus...
- I wonder if you agree with my thinking so far
- and what I should do next!

Fortunately it happened at the end of today's snow-throwin'. But it's January near Boston... there's work yet to do, and who knows how soon!

Thanks, team, for any help you can give.

-Maxo
- http://www.maxmatic.com/electrak.htm

http://www.maxmatic.com/