(ET) Deck motors, etc.

Over the years, I have picked up some 'scrap' parts, bad decks, etc.  I
have noticed that
all the belly deck parts (E-12S) have the same basic 4.5" diameter motor
as many of the
front mount decks.  The difference is the temperature shut-off on the side
instead of the top,
and the flange higher on the motor, both to gain vertical clearance.
Since the flange is
the same, one can mount the motor on a front deck (I have) and everything
works... sort of.
Because the flange is higher on the motor, the blade ends up roughly 3/4"
lower than the
other blades.

Does anyone know how the flange is mounted on the shell?  The service
manual doesn't
say, but I'm guessing it is just a press-fit.  If so, I can remove the
motor and move the
flange.  However, if it is welded somewhere (and I can't see any trace of
that), I'll probably
just break the shell or the flange.  I replaced the motor because of a
cracked flange
(the deck vibrates so loud with a crack that you might as well have a gas
tractor) so I
don't want to force one of these things.  Does anyone know how that flange
is mounted?

Secondary question.  That old deck had good blades, but the blades have a
'dip' in them
about 3" from the tip.  My original blades are flat.  What are the
advantages/disadvantages
of these two types of blades?  Was the dip just for clearance on the belly
mount?  Which
cuts better?

Larry Elie